1975 was the year of Igbo anthology verse.
Igbo written poetry began in 1975 though prior to this time in 1971, Egudu and Nwọga wrote a book called Poetic Heritage: Igbo Traditional Verse. This could have been said to be the first Igbo modern poetry but it has English title, and some analogy in it are expressed in English. In that case, we started counting from 1975 when everything in poetry are made to be in Igbo.
After listing these poetry books, tell us the one you have read. For me, I have read all. Now here they go:
- Akpa Uche edited by R.M. Ekechukwu (1975) UPL
- Mbem na Egwu Igbo by F.C.Ọgbalụ (1978) UPC
- Nka Okwu by J.C. Madụekwe (1979) Longman
- Akpaala Okwh by J.N.Ọnwụchekwa (1979) Lantern
- Mbem Igbo by J.C. Obienyem (1979) UPC
- Abụ na Egwuregwu Ọdịnaala Igbo by N. Ugonna (1980) Longman
- Akaweta by Chinụa Achebe&Udechukwu (eds) (1982) Okike
- Ọkpọnkụ Abụ by J.A. Umeh (1984) Cecta
- Igbo Ụyọkọ Mbem by F.C. Ọgbalụ (1984) UPC
- Ogwumagala by E.N.Emenanjọ (1984) UPL
- Abụ Ụmụ Praịmarị by C.O. Achọlọnụ (1985) UPL
- Mbem Akwamozu by S. Ụzọchukwu (1985) UPC
- Ụka Ndụ by J. Ogu (1985) UPC
- Ekpe Nna by A.K. Obierozie (1986) Pacific
- Echiche by Ezeuko&Anọwaị (1986) Etukokwu
- Akọ Bụ Ndụ by A.B. Chukwuezi (1988) Longman
- Uche Bụ Afa by G.O. Onyekaọnwụ (1989) UPL
- Echiche Miri Emi by Ịnnọ U. Nwadike (1990) Kawuriz&Manilas
- Echiche by Asọonye Ụba Mgbemena (1990) Macmillan
- Abụ Ekele Dike by G.N.Echebima (1990) Heinemann
- Nri Uche by Nwadike I.U. (1990) Totan
- Mbido Abụ by Nwadike I.U. (1992) Pacific
- Omenka by Ogbulogo&Okoro (1992) Logomedia
- Abụ Akwamozu by Sam Ụzọchukwu (1992) Pacific
- Ekenegwurugwu by Obike, Ọnụegbu&Nnabụihe (1996) Navic
- Ọdị M N’obi by C.E. Ofomata (1997) Format
- Echiche M by C.E. Ọfọmata (1999) Format
- Nnụnụ Mgbama by O.A. Agụ (1999) Cecta
- Aka Tijie by O.C. Ihejirika (2000) Onibonoje
- Olisa Amaka by R.E. Obakhena (2001) Claverianum
- Okwu Ndụ by C.E. Ọfọmata (2001) Format
- E chezọla by C.E. Ọfọmata (2001) Format
- Nsibiri by C. Onyeji (2001) Edition Innsalz
- Ọkụ Nwanne na Ụtara Ntị Dị Ọzọ by P.C. Ifejika (2001) Snaap
- Nkemakọlam by E.N. Emenanjọ (?) Heinemann
- Eke Une by E. Obike (?) UPC
- Ụtara Ntị by E.N. Emenanjọ (ed) (?) Evans
- Ọbịageli by O.L. Ọgụgụa (?) UPC
- Uche Bụ Akpa by C.C. Anọzie (2006) Varsity Publishers
- Nka Dị N’ụbụrụ by M..Asọgwa (2007) Samuel Publishers
- Uche Bụ Ahịa by Ikeokwu&Onyejekwe (2009) Format
- Mụta Ụwa by S. I. Ọsọndụ (2011) Fidgina
- Akị Na Ụkwa by G.I. Nwaozuzu (2015) UNP
- Onye Na Nke Ya by Okoro Mark Ogbonnaya& C.M. Akaeze (2017) Pacific Publishers
- Akọ Bụ Ndụ by Okoro Mark Ogbonnaya (2017) Pacific
- Ọnwụ Na Ndụ by Okoro Mark Ogbonnaya (2017) Pacific.
Note: I co-authored Onye Na Nke Ya with a renowned Igbo author and Professor of Igbo Studies and Literature—Professor Ịnnọ Ụzọma Nwadike. His poems are in the collection. On its way from press, it was recommended for 2017 final year students of Linguistics and Igbo, University of Nigeria, Nsụka as part of the texts to read for their degree exam. Onye Na Nke Ya too is going for the NECO as a text required for NECO examination in Igbo.
Ngwa tell us out of the above listed poems which you have read. Remember, these are not only poems written in Igbo. There are numerous to mention.
Well Researched. Thanks for the Post
This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Appreciate it!
Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thanks for providing this info.